June 17, 2013

Plica Syndrome

I finally took to the interwebs to investigate my knee problem and was rewarded with: Plica Syndrome. The plica is tissue inside the knee that can become inflammed...chronically inflammed.

"An otherwise normal structure, a plica can be a significant source of anterior knee pain. Once an inflammatory process is established, the normal plical tissue may hypertrophy into a truly pathologic structure..."

The location and symptoms I have match Plica Syndrome _exactly_ (for example, considerable pain upon standing after sitting for a while) so I am 95% sure that's what it is.
Arthroscopic surgery can "excise" the plica (you don't need it), so I may have that done in Bangkok when I am there in July.
It would be nice to get rid of this pain, which is getting worse....

On a brighter note, my quest to become Kenyan-thin is going well. I'm down to 58.7kg from 61.7 six weeks ago. Enjoying admiring my six-pack abs.... (and in fact am doing some core exercises every day, not just at the gym)

Week of June 10 ~ 16
77.8km / 48 mi.

Monday
4:00 - 15k in 1:26:33 @5:45/k
Continuing the easy day aerobic runs.
Weather: 24C/75F
Weight: 59.4kg

Tuesday
11:00 - Gym workout

Wednesday
7:30pm - 12.8km Club track workout 1200 x 3, 1000 x 2, 400
4:33/27/30, 3:42,38, 83 (2' jog, 1' walk)
Felt good. Had several other people to follow. Pushed hard..
Weather: 20C/68F, light rain

Thursday
3:00 - 20k in about 1:20 (left my watch at the public bath last night - they let us change, go out, and then come back for a bath. much nicer than the locker room at the track)
Weather; 21C/70F but felt chillier - rain
Weight: 59.3kg

Friday
11:30 - Gym workout
2:00 -16km at about 5:50/k
Weight: 59.6kg

Saturday
2:30 - 14k with 10k alternating 4:30/k and 5:00/k. Approx, but pretty close, I'm sure. This is supposed to be a "lactate clearance" workout, to get your body used to handling lactate buildup efficiently. Got it from competitor.com, I think. A good workout, I like it. Basically, it's alternating  "pretty hard" and "moderately hard" paces.
Weather: 30C/86F
Weight: 59.4kg

Sunday
Rest day due to rain in morning, sore knee and left home at 10:30 to go watch Japan vs. Australia lacrosse. I like lacrosse, great game. This was the Japan national men's and women's teams vs. 23 and under sides from Oz. The young Aussies were no match for the _much_ faster and more skillful Japanese, losing 29-2 and 20-4. It was fun to watch, though.
Weight: 58.7kg

4 comments:

  1. Interesting Saturday session.
    Impressive weight loss !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you thrashed us! Need a re-match at Aussie Rules.

    Sounds like it'd be worth having the op in Bangkok. Try and talk 'em into the 3 for 1 deal - Plica, Kenyan tendon transplant & Facelift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha - Kenyan tendons sounds like a good idea. Still happy with my face....

    ReplyDelete
  4. First oof all I would like to say terrific blog! I had a quik question that I'd like to
    ask if you do not mind. I was interested to know how you center yourself and
    clear your head befode writing. I have had diffihulty clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out there.
    Ido take pleasure in writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be lost just trying to figure out howw to begin.
    Any suggestions or tips? Appreciate it!

    Feel free to surf to my site ... m88

    ReplyDelete