October 31, 2010

Unsuccessful Attempt

Week of Oct. 25 ~ 31

Went to the gym on Tuesday for some weights, step machine and elliptical trainer.
Then on Thursday, since my calf had not been hurting for a few days, I went out for a run, thought I would see if I could do 4k. I couldn't - calf started to hurt after 2.1k (13 minutes). I stopped _immediately_ — have gotten older and wiser in the past two weeks.
So I'll take another week off and see how it feels. Internet articles on muscle tears say they take 2 to 4 weeks to heal, so I guess mine will be more like 4 weeks.

Friday I had a business trip, Saturday we had a bit of a typhoon, so I finally got to the gym on Sunday for weights, core, bike 15 mins, elliptical 15 mins, bike 15 mins. Worked up a bit of a sweat, at least.

Thanks for the encouraging comments, talk to you again next week, hopefully with better news.
Actually next Sunday is the club Half Marathon and 10k, which I was planning to race, but now hope to be able to jog (10k). If not, at least the barbecue will be fun.

4 comments:

  1. Hang in there Bob. I appear to have a similar issue with my right calf but it appears to be a strain as opposed to a tear - but like you no running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that Bob. Time will heal it. Best thing is to wait a couple of days after there's no pain while walking. Have a beer for me at the BBQ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bob, I had a tear in the calf about 8 months ago, very despondent going for runs and feeling it within a few hundred meters of home - but at least that made the walk back that much quicker.
    I thought it would never go (probably took only 2/3 weeks ) but the joy when I was able to get past those first few hundred meters without a reaction! Good luck in your recovery - take it easy!

    ReplyDelete