November 9, 2019

Throw Away Your Old Ultralight Shoes

That's my advice after wearing a pair to do a 5,000m time trial. It went well, ran 20:50 at the multiclub TT on a cool, windless evening with pacemakers (stayed on the 21-minute person's shoulder). Took the next day off, then ran 14k the following day, which was ok. Then the next day, my right calf started to hurt after 5k. Turned around and jogged home. Tried to run the next day but only got 2k before it got sore. Took another day off, then tried to jog but only got 8 minutes before it got sore - more sore than the other day.

So it looks like at least six days off - today is the third day of rest and it's still very tight and a bit sore. Maybe more than six days....

Ever since tearing a calf muscle about two years ago, I'm sensitive about my calves, but obviously not sensitive enough.  I've used those shoes for a time trial before, with no ill effects, but I guess I was just lucky.

So my advice is: super light shoes with very little cushioning? Trash them!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Bob. Congrats on the 10k win and I hope the calf recovers for the HM. I only use super light shoes on grass, like the Pegasus Turbo for racing, medium light and good cushion/response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The half marathon got canceled! The typhoon washed out the course! A bummer as it's my favorite race. Next up is an ekiden (7.4k) on Dec. 1. Hope you are running well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame. Good luck for the ekiden. I'm coming back from a hamstring injury. All good so far, touch wood.

      Delete
  3. El Yucateco Salsa Picante de Chile Habanero Red 4 fl oz - Mapyro
    Shop 남원 출장마사지 for El Yucateco 남양주 출장샵 Salsa Picante de Chile Habanero Red 4 fl oz (120 ml) 나주 출장샵 at Mapyro. Find quality international products to add to your Shopping List or order online 김제 출장마사지 for Delivery Sodium: 순천 출장안마 90mgProtein: 0g

    ReplyDelete