April 18, 2019

Japan's First Parkrun

Thought you might be interested to know that the first parkrun in Japan was held on April 6.
It was held along the Tamagawa river, a little ways south of central Tokyo.
It was well attended - 343 people - and was a success, except that the first 20 runners got mis-directed and only ran 3k. 343 was quite good, since it wasn't promoted much to the Japanese running community - mostly on Facebook to English speakers.
My club had 30 people there.
It's too far from my house for me to go often (and I don't like running in the morning), but anyway, it's nice that parkrun made it to Japan.
Oh, and Paul Sinton-Hewitt, the founder of parkrun, was on hand for the first event, so that was cool.

My hamstring has healed - no pain at all for the past 3 weeks. I have a Half on Sunday, which I'll be able to run, but not at a quick pace. Too bad, as I had hoped to be in good shape for it, but happy that I'll at least be out there.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck for the half Bob. I've never tackled a Parkrun before. Come to think of it, I've never run a competitive 5K. Reckon I should. BTW, that 15.58 of yours is HUGE. Nice one mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mark. Yes, the parkruns are good events - if there's one near enough to you to make it convenient for an early morning start. And yes, you should race some 5Ks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm lucky to have one 10 minutes away and a few others within a 30 minute drive. I see your course record is still holding up well.

    ReplyDelete