November 16, 2014

Half Marathon - Made It!

Sunday, November 16

Today was the Toda Half Marathon in Saitama, the prefecture north of Tokyo. Fairly big race with 3,500 in the Half, 2,500 in the 10K and 2,000 in the 5K and 2k "family run."

The weather was close to ideal, cool and mostly sunny, with some wind but not too strong.

This is my favorite race and I always do quite well, 3rd or 4th in my age group. In fact, I have the second fastest time in the 30 years of the race in the 60s age group - 1:23:30.

But not this year. Due to the continuing glute/hamstring problem, I hadn't run hardly at all for 5 weeks...and the damn thing was still sore. But with rest, physio, acupuncture and kinesio tape I was hopeful that I could make it through. Optimum hoped-for time was 1:38:27 (4:40/k) but I thought that 5:00/k or even slower would be more likely.

So...final result was 1:39:22 (4:42/k), good for 16th in the age group out of 281, not that that means anything.

I went out a bit cautiously, then picked it up after 6k when it seemed like the glute would hold up. It was sore, but manageable. Still, I maintained a sensible pace (4:32ish). When I got to 10k I was pretty sure I would get home ok, but then I realized, whoops, I'm not in shape to run a half marathon!

In addition to not having run the past 5 weeks, I've only done 3 runs of 20k all year! So the last 4k was pretty tough, and I slowed quite a bit. Then I started cramping in my right calf the last 400m and barely made the finish line.

Anyway, I was quite happy that the glute/hammie held up, and all in all I enjoyed the race. Back next year with a vengeance!
Actually, I might even do the 10k next year. Age group was won in 39:53 and I can do that easily.
Today's age group half was won in 1:25, then 1:27, 1:30, 1:33, so would have been 3rd or 4th on a normal day.

Oh yeah, I was also way above Kenyan-thin weight, having gained 2.5kg the past 5 weeks.

Off to Bangkok on Thursday for 2-1/2 weeks to visit my daughter and her boyfriend, who will be doing the Phuket Half Tri on the 30th, which we will go to watch. So hopefully I'll feel ok after 4 days rest and will be able to run a bit with him. But slowly.....



6 comments:

  1. Excellent stuff, Bob! Well done on finishing so well on no real training. I hope I can do the same next Sunday in Ohtawara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great effort. Good result with aches and pains. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my book that's a gutsy effort young man. I bet the real win for you is coming through it - glute/hammie intact. That cautious period has been rewarded. Have a nice holiday and let's not let that weight balloon out too much more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the break Bob. Hope you come back refreshed and with a good to go glute/hammy! Pretty good result to run sub-100 given the piss-poor prep. Next year, yes, go for 10k glory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2.5Kg!!! that's terrible Bob ;-) All good considering the hammy/glute issue and the lack of training. The main thing is that nothing is broke and everything appear within your control. 1:23:30 for M60 is seriously fast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. have fun in Bangkok. shame we'll miss by a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete