May 15, 2017

Feeling Better

Week of May 1 ~ 7
This was a recovery week from the 10K last Saturday. I have to take it easy for a week or even two after a race or else I get injured. Of course the race time was only 43, not 38, but still best to be cautious.

So...rest Monday and very easy the next three days.
Friday I did 100 mins., split into two runs with a gym workout in between.
Saturday was 80 mins, legs still feeling heavy.
Sunday 66 mins,  feeling a bit better.

The two highlights of the week were first, the Breaking2 run by Kipchoge, of which I watched the last half. Just mesmerizing. I was blown away not only by the final time, but by the fact that at 30k, he looked better than the pacers! Such wonderful running form.
And second, the Namban Rengo Beer Mile on Sunday, which I am not crazy enough to participate in, but had a lot of fun watching and timing. Check out the great article about it on our website at namban.org.

Week of May 8 ~ 14
Monday and Tuesday - 50 mins, easy runs with the HS track team.
Wednesday - intervals at the track, 800, 1000, 1200, 1200, 1000, 800.
Felt good, like I was actually running at a good pace, for the first time in a very long time. Warmed up the first 800, then did a 3:51 1000, 4:45 1200s (3:59 at the 1000), 3:49 1000 and 3:02 800. Not blazingly fast by any means, but nice to be down at 3:50/k again.
It was a coolish 17C, but about 80% humidity. No wind. Not a bad night for running.
Thursday was very easy, Friday was 50 mins, gym, 50 mins.
Saturday I took a rest day, as I had run 11 days in a row.
Sunday did 120 mins at 6:00/k pace (20km), which is actually a little faster than I have been running, but still keeping in my comfort zone (the Ed Whitlock philosophy).

So that was 68k for the week, not so bad. Aiming for 80 and eventually, 100.

3 comments:

  1. Sensible recovery and picking it up again Bob. Must say the same re Eliud. I was watching it on my phone and was amazed he slowed down that small fraction near the end. He made that speed, 68s 400s look amazingly easy. I doubt that I could keep up with him for 100m these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good to get a race back in your legs - stay fit,bob. marty

    ReplyDelete