January 15, 2017

Cracked Kneecap

Great way to start the year!
I was in Singapore, visiting my daughter and loving the warm weather. She lives 2km from the Botanic Gardens, so did two runs there, which were very enjoyable.

Was planning to do the Park Run on Saturday Dec. 24, but on Thursday, disaster struck.
My daughter has two cats, which love to escape from the apartment and go one flight up to the roof, where it's difficult to catch them. So we're careful about the front door. I had it open to get the newspaper, having checked that the cat was across the room. Well, the cat was faster than I thought. It zoomed across the room and out the door. I lunged after it and went down hard. Hit my left knee, left hand and left big toe. The knee was intensely painful, I was almost in shock from the pain.

After a while it lessened, but it was still difficult to walk. And it stayed that way for the next three weeks, so I couldn't take advantage of the beautiful greenery and weather to run in Singapore. Very frustrating.

I bought a knee support and managed to walk around with only slight pain and taking stairs slowly. Went to Gardens By the Sea, Marina Bay Sands, the zoo, Sentosa Island and Jurong Bird Park (which we liked a lot - great bird show). And of course, lots of shopping and eating out. I love Singapore - really want to live there!

I thought it was quite possible that I had a small fracture, but didn't bother going to a doctor down there, since whether it was or not, there's nothing to do but rest until it gets better.

After arriving back home, I went to a hospital for an X-ray (last Thursday), which showed a crack right in the center of the knee. Not a large one, but clearly visible. And the doctor said...all you can do is wait until it heals, two or three months. My ring and middle fingers also still hurt, but the x-rays were negative.

Too bad, since I had been getting into good shape, but, them's the breaks (ha ha).
I'll let you know when I start up again. At least when I do, my hamstrings and everything else will be well rested.

4 comments:

  1. There's no kneed for that Bob ;-) Mate you take care. Enjoy the rest. Snowed all day long here in Kyoto. You'll be raring to go come spring ... perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks. Sorry to hear that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not ha ha! And double not ha ha for Mark's pun. Bloody cats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this blog over here.
    Samson Hinged Knee Brace Open Patella provides support and mediolateral stability to the knee.

    ReplyDelete